Read Me First
So you just signed up for Oil Painting Classes! You're going to have a blast. And now you're going to need supplies. I've done my best to break this down and make it as simple for you as possible. The easiest and least expensive way to purchase your supplies is to order the majority of them online (see the column to the right for instructions.)
If you'd rather buy them yourself, I've listed everything that you will need below. You can find a print-friendly version of the supply list here:
Do yourself a HUGE favor and make sure to buy only the brands that I recommend and not 'student grade'. You might think you are saving money but actually you are wasting it because you will end up needing to purchase the better brand down the road anyway.
If you have any questions at all, feel free to call me at (949) 551-1987 and I am happy to clarify for you.
Oil Painting Supply List
WINTON Brand Oil Paints (NOT Water Mixable Oils)
- Cadmium Yellow Light (MUST be LIGHT - not Pale Hue)
- Cadmium Lemon
- French Ultramarine Blue
- Cerulean Blue Hue
- Burnt Sienna
- Burnt Umber
- Permanent Alizarin Crimson
- Cadmium Red Light - (Important: NOT Cadmium Red Medium or Hue or Deep)
- Dioxazine Purple
- Titanium White
- Winsor Green - (Important: NOT "Winsor Green (yellow shade)" & NOT Winsor Emerald) -- This color is ONLY available as PROFESSIONAL Grade paint
NOTE: You can substitute GRUMBACHER Brand Thalo Green Blue Shade if Winsor Green is not available. The Winsor Green and Thalo Green are ONLY available in Professional Grade paint (Winsor & Newton), so you might need to check a different section of the store.
Optional WINTON Colors (you can purchase these later if you want them)
- Quinacridone Magenta (Winsor & Newton, not Winton brand)
- Winsor Orange
- Raw Sienna
- Raw Umber
- Yellow Ochre
- Indian Yellow
- Cobalt Blue
- Manganese Blue Hue
Brushes (Purchase 2 of each of the FILBERTS and only 1 of the Rounds)
Do NOT purchase 'Artist's Loft' brand from Michael's they fall apart and are a waste of your money! If you absolutely must by from Michael's then only buy their PROFESSIONAL brushes. Seriously!
Buy a range of sizes in which ever brand of brush comes closest to this description:
Long Handled Synthetic Filbert
You don't have to have all of them to begin, but do have a variety of sizes. Try to have at least one of each of a #4, #8 and #12 Filbert. If you can not find all of the sizes in one brand, then choose different brands, but DO get a variety of sizes.
- #4 Filbert
- #6 Filbert
- #8 Filbert
- #10 Filbert
- #12 Filbert
- #14 Filbert
- #1 Round (SYNTHETIC)
- #6 or #8 Round (SYNTHETIC)
Suggested Brand: Robert Simmons Titanium Filberts TT42
(I used to recommend several less expensive brushes, but manufacturers have lowered the quality so much that those cheaper brushes fall apart too quickly. So now all I recommend are these.) If you can't find these in town, you can order them online at DickBlick.com.
Other Painting Supplies
- LIQUIN MEDIUM (Original) (2.5 oz or larger - MUST be Original flavor!)
- ODORLESS TURPENOID by Weber (16 oz or larger) -- NOT Turpenoid Natural. Don't waste money on a dinky, little container - get a larger size - you'll NEED it - Trust me!
- Jack's LINSEED STUDIO SOAP
- 2 (two) each Disposable Paper PALETTES -- Purchase two'Jack Richeson GREY MATTERS Paper Palettes' (it comes with a color wheel, gray scale and couple of other charts on the inside cover - you'll LOVE it!)
- PALETTE KNIFE (Trowel style, 2" rounded point - Steel)
- 2 – 4 STRETCHED CANVASES - 16" X 20" and 18" X 18" (or close to this size, exact dimensions not necessary) Again, do NOT purchase 'Artist's Loft' brand! You'll only have to return them.
These are the only supplies that are NOT included in the Dick Blick supply list online (top right column.) If you are purchasing your supplies online, please make sure to bring these with you to your first class as well.
- Indoor Slippers or Flip flops — The studio has a 'shoes-off' policy so most students bring either a pair of slippers (in winter), or a pair of flip flops for indoor use. You are welcome to be barefoot or wear socks as well.
- LARGE Roll of PAPER TOWELS
- Small package of unscented BABY WIPES
- Old 100% COTTON T-shirt cut up into 4 inch rags (must be 100% cotton because it has no lint)
- Tall Sturdy Can for BRUSH HOLDER You don't want to throw your brushes loose into your carrier! (16 oz coffee can works well - no glass please)
- A Squat, Wide-mouth GLASS JAR (For your Thinner - Don't buy special jars, a small used pickle jar will work)
- Water Bottle with water for drinking
- Bag for carrying your supplies (anything that works for you)
- Apron or wear old shirt over clothes
If you own an iPad or other Tablet, you are welcome to bring it to class with you. An iPad is a great tool for research! If you don't have one, no worries.
Download the Print-Friendly Supply List
To download the print-friendly version of this list to take with you to the art supply store, click the button below:
Order supplies in one click!
To make it easy for you, you can order the majority of your supplies online and save time hunting around for everything on the list as well as money, since Blick Art Materials has great prices! It usually takes about 10 days for supplies to arrive, so if you have time, this is the best method.
I've already selected all of the main supplies that you will need and put them in a class list -- just click the button below to add them to your shopping cart and check out!
PLEASE NOTE: There are several Miscellaneous Supplies that you will need that are not included in the list above. They are at the bottom of the supply list on the left hand side. Make sure you bring those with you to your first class as well!
One more thing -- if any of the items are 'Out of Stock', just go ahead and order them with the rest of your supplies anyway. They will be shipped free of charge once the item comes back in stock.Buy Supplies on Blick Art Materials
Or, buy them yourself
If you'd rather go shopping for supplies yourself, I've tried to make it as easy as possible for you to find what you need. Please make sure to buy only the brands I recommend -- you'll be saving yourself a huge headache and money in the long run. You can download a printer-friendly version of the supply list by clicking the button below:Print-Friendly Supply List
The best place to purchase supplies locally is:
Art Supply Warehouse
Art Supply Warehouse has the BEST local prices around. They carry just about everything. Their people are extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. This is a great place to save money - especially if you are purchasing a lot of supplies.
If you want more options, you can find more at Where Can I Buy Supplies?