Read Me First
So you just signed up for Beginning Drawing Skills! You're going to have a blast. And now you're going to need supplies. I've done my best to break this down and make it as simple for you as possible. The easiest and least expensive way to purchase your supplies is to order the majority of them online (see the column to the right for instructions.)
If you'd rather buy them yourself, I've listed everything that you will need below. You can find a print-friendly version of the supply list here:
Do yourself a HUGE favor and make sure to buy only the brands that I recommend and not 'student grade'. You might think you are saving money but actually you are wasting it because you will end up needing to purchase the better brand down the road anyway.
If you have any questions at all, feel free to call me at (949) 551-1987 and I am happy to clarify for you.
Beginning Drawing Skills Supply List
- EXTRA-Fine Point Permanent Marker - any color (Sharpie style - does not have to be Sharpie brand)
- 1 each (one) Masonite Board - size: 18" x 24"
(If purchasing from other than Dick Blick, get the 18" x 24" Gessoed Art Board by Speedball)
- 2 (two) each Tote Board Rubber Bands (Rubber bands measure 10-3/4" long and 7/8" wide. This will be used for securing your artwork at both ends of a drawing board.)
- 2 (two) each (50 sheets only because a 100 sheet pad is HEAVY) Newsprint Pads - 18" X 24"
- 1 (one) each Tracing Paper Pad - 9" X 12" (As transparent as possible - 'Seth Cole' Brand is a very transparent brand)
- Drawing Pencils - 2B, 4B, 6B (Do NOT buy 'Artist's Loft' or 'General' Brand!)
- Large Kneaded Eraser - 'Prismacolor' Brand (used to be Design) Do NOT purchase 'Artist's Loft' brand from Michael's or 'General' Brand, both are very poor quality and a waste of your money!
- Nupastel by Prismacolor STICKS - 2 Sticks - Titian Brown (or) Burnt Sienna (or) Rust - These are long rectangular sticks - sold in singles (don't buy a whole box) (NOT 'Artist's Loft' or 'General' Brand!)
These are the only supplies that are NOT included in the Dick Blick supply list online (top right column.) If you are purchasing your supplies online, please make sure to bring these with you to your first class as well.
- Indoor Slippers or Flip flops — The studio has a 'shoes-off' policy so most students bring either a pair of slippers (in winter), or a pair of flip flops for indoor use. You are welcome to be barefoot or wear socks as well.
- Old hand towel
- 12" ruler
- Ball point pen (any color)
- Water Bottle with water for drinking
- 1 (one) each (50 sheets only) Sketch Pad
Download the Print-Friendly Supply List
To download the print-friendly version of this list to take with you to the art supply store, click the button below:
Order supplies in one click!
To make it easy for you, you can order the majority of your supplies online and save time hunting around for everything on the list as well as money, since Blick Art Materials has great prices! It usually takes about 10 days for supplies to arrive, so if you have time, this is the best method.
I've already selected all of the main supplies that you will need and put them in a class list -- just click the button below to add them to your shopping cart and check out!
PLEASE NOTE: There are several Miscellaneous Supplies that you will need that are not included in the list above. They are at the bottom of the supply list on the left hand side. Make sure you bring those with you to your first class as well!
One more thing -- if any of the items are 'Out of Stock', just go ahead and order them with the rest of your supplies anyway. They will be shipped free of charge once the item comes back in stock.
Or, buy them yourself
If you'd rather go shopping for supplies yourself, I've tried to make it as easy as possible for you to find what you need. Please make sure to buy only the brands I recommend -- you'll be saving yourself a huge headache and money in the long run. You can download a printer-friendly version of the supply list by clicking the button below:
The best place to purchase supplies locally is:
Art Supply Warehouse
Art Supply Warehouse has the BEST local prices around. They carry just about everything. Their people are extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. This is a great place to save money - especially if you are purchasing a lot of supplies.
If you want more options, you can find more at Where Can I Buy Supplies?